Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Follow Me Down


I read this book because Headline was tweeting about it as much as they were about Happy Looks Like, and when I started the sample, it got me really interested, so I bought it.

It's Looking for Alaska, as a story of rumors at boarding school, of a girl who goes missing and people around her who know neither of them know the real her. It's (500) days of Summer, in the way that it's written, flashing between 'before' when Adamma first arrives at the school, and after Scarlett goes missing, leaving us a little lost in between; never knowing who to trust and what is true. The curiosity is what pulled me through, though. Wanting to know what happens next, what really happened.

I quite like Adamma, I like that she is sassy, and I like that she isn't a typical selfless quiet girl. I like that she has bitter thoughts and that she cares about her make-up and shoes. I think I'd be annoyed if she was too typical and naive. She comes across as brave and very observant; she's introspective but still outspoken. I was most interested to see how she plays a part in all the happenings.

I literally have no idea what happened at the end, but i was gorgeous and poetic and a little prophetic in a way that left me speechless. It left my heart feeling empty and full at the same time, which made me remember the quote from The History of Love, “What about you? Are you happiest and saddest right now that you've ever been?" "Of course I am." "Why?" "Because nothing makes me happier and nothing makes me sadder than you.” You, Follow Me Down, that's exactly how you made me feel.

No comments:

Post a Comment