Sunday, May 19, 2013

City of Ashes


I loved this book. As always with Cassandra Clare, the imagery is gorgeous, she describes things with a clarity I haven't experienced in a book before. -I found myself surprised at how familiar the associations she made were, capturing moments in between. Also, her vocabulary is extraordinary! and not in an intimidating way. I'm learning so many new words! And, learning so much about the history of mythology and legends behind the world she created. I also really enjoy the biblical references, it's such an interesting mix.

I really enjoy the unexpected plot changes, as well as the constant character development. I like that I don't always know if the characters are going to do what I hope, and I love that I don't want to flip ahead to see quickly because I want to experience every single word as it comes. 

This book deals with issues like parental abandonment, abuse, incest, morality in terms of the Law, homosexuality, family honor, and of course the ever-popular unrequited love. All delicately woven into battles and conversation and stolen glances. She manages to include profound thoughts in a way that isn't overpowering to the flow of the story. It's gorgeous and powerful. It will make you think, but also it will make you gasp and laugh and want to high five the characters. 

The ending, oh gosh, just make sure you have the next book before you finish this one.

Quotables

'But if you can't tell the truth to the people you care about the most, eventually you stop being able to tell the truth to yourself.'

Life lessons from this book: 

If you love him, say you love him. Fight for that love.

We are each born and designed for something magical, to change the world with our talents; whether we know what it is yet or not. (Yeah I totally took it super deeply, whatever.)


No comments:

Post a Comment