Tuesday, July 9, 2013

The Bling Ring



I've been so interested in this story. -The idea of fame-obsessed teenagers successfully robbing celebrities of millions of dollars! While the media has mostly been obsessed with 'why', I've been excited by the 'how!' 

The book is written Nancy Jo Sales who did the Vanity Fair story that inspired Sofia Coppolla to make this into a film. 

(I've been watching the Made-for-tv movie in between reading this book, before I watch Sofia's film, and it's just made me so much more interested in the Ring as individuals. Also, Austin Butler is the main character!! I will do a review when I've finished the movie*) 

My first thought, when I heard the story, was 'How had this not happened before? And how is it teenagers who did it first?!' 

Nancy answers this question beautifully, explaining the context of the situation. Hollywood was always a sparkling area of unattainable wealth, it was an us-and-them situation. She writes, 'It was fame itself that acted as a shield, an invisible force keeping the non-famous out. Until recently, the fame bubble has always seemed magical, impossible to pierce.. actors were respected and admired. 

'Stars-they're just like us.' US Weekly tells us. Well, now they are. Reality television leveled Mount Olympus like a nuclear bomb.' At the same time as it said 'celebrities are just people' it said, 'hey, you can be just as famous.' And suddenly the us-and-them idea, is no more. 

The most enlightening moment so far for me, is this quote: 'the Bling Ring kids felt they could just walk into the stars' home because stars no longer shined.'

With Twitter and Facebook and weekly tabloids, we knew these celebrities, intimately, but never intimately enough. When you think of it like that, with a sudden change like that, becoming so deeply a part of who we are as a society, how could something like the Bling Ring not happen? 

No comments:

Post a Comment