Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Gone Girl


I started reading this book after seeing Lea Michele was yet another celeb to be reading it, and ohhh myyy it's been a thrill! It's trippy in the loveliest way; it keeps you guessing! It's filled with the sweetness of first marriage and growing as a couple. It's also twisted and dark and captivating. 

The book starts with so many cute little moments about the start of their love story, and the way Nick and Amy began their marriage. The mood of the book is such (and this is what I kept telling people about the book) that you literally have no idea who to trust and what is actually happening. I loved that!

And then you start getting both perspectives, and just when you think you're figuring it all out, the chapter ends with another jaw-dropping moment that changes everything! I think it's best if you don't read up on the plot, it's such a fun adventure watching it fall out in front of you.

The second part of the book is all sociopath-paranoia-plotting, it's magnificent and terrifying! I spent most of this last part, panicked about what I would do if I was in Nick's situation, and hoping with everything in me that someone is on his side. I was of course, completed entranced by Amy's every thought and wondering what her every move would be. 

Up until the very end of the book, you have no idea how things are going to play out. It's complicated and beautiful and fascinating and overflowing with human realities: of society and prejudice and manipulation and personality weakness.

Reading this book was like watching a couple balancing on a tightrope, at a big show with a million distractions. It's only really about their dynamic, but they have somehow involved all these other people's opinions and desires and.. It's messy and they fight dirty, but it's all so controlled, so planned. You'll know what I mean when you read it! (Read it!) 

and just like I said at the end of Follow Me Down, if you've read it I would love to discuss the ending. 

No comments:

Post a Comment