Thursday, January 23, 2014

The Summer I Turned Pretty


I was excited to read this book, I liked the idea of Belly measuring her life in summers. 
At first when I started this book I was like 'ohhh is this book just a love story, that's it? She has a crush. -That's the book? Meh.' so I stopped, and kept reading my twisted murder books, and books about girls who have secret psycho-analysis skills. But then, this morning I needed sweetness, and this book gave it all to me. 

I like that the boys all love her before she grew up and 'turned pretty' --it makes it all more meaningful, and the feelings more lasting. I liked when the boys asked “Would you rather live one perfect day over and over or live your life with no perfect days but just decent ones?” and I liked that Belly answered that she'd rather have the decent days, so she could keep being hopeful for a best day to come. I especially like that everyone calls her Belly.

Belly's mom has the greatest friendship with Susannah. It's just, it's everything. My heart broke when she said “Best friends are important. They're the closest thing to a sister you'll ever have.” They're the perfect pair, so balanced, and they're such a great support system for each other.

It's filled with summer moments, and stories of that bond you create growing up with boys.. Memories that made me giggle, and wish to be on summer holiday again, and meeting a cute boy at a bonfire (Who I pictured as Dorrit's new boyfriend) It's filled with flash backs to all the years before, all the reasons for nicknames and moments we don't talk about anymore.

It's all the happy moments of having a crush, the beauty of family. Inside jokes over the years, beach parties, old music. A kind of montage of old photographs, evenings of laughter and screaming at siblings. It's really happy, and sometimes disappointing.. Like summers at the sea can be.

And it ends hopefully, so I'm excited to read #2.. 

No comments:

Post a Comment